Sunday 19 August 2012

Food for Life



In order for us to live healthy and balanced and satisfying lives, there are so many areas of the human makeup that needs to be properly fed and nourished. We have biological, psychological, sociological, financial needs that have to be met. 

Yet the greatest area of the human experience that must be discovered and properly nourished is the foundational Life that we are.

Today the Church is continuing to reflect on the “Bread of Life” sayings of  John’s Gospel (6:51-58).

“unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.”
“whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day”
“For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink”
“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood REMAINS in me and I in him”
“…the one who feeds on me will have life because of me”

Do you want a more full and meaningful life? 
Then we need to ask the question …

What does it mean to “Remain” in Christ? 
In other words, what does it mean to remain in "Life?"

What does it mean to remain in Christ, return to Christ, come back to Christ, long for Christ, desire Christ, hunger for Christ, thirst for Christ?

When we are not consciously in Christ, not AWARE of the Loving Divine Life that we share, then we are actually less alive.

That is to say, when Divine Life – the living Word of God, the Love that is God – is not at the center of our consciousness, we are in fact spiritually less alive.

When we REMAIN in Him – with His Word on our minds and His love in our hearts - we are more awake, free and alive.

This is a fundamental truth of Christian living.

Feeding on Distractions
What Jesus is saying to us, is that when we allow distractions, the unimportant changing details of life to consume us, to take over our consciousness – being all that we THINK about – then we are among the living dead, not fully alive.

Jesus says to us, do not feed on such unimportant and sometimes evil things.  You are robbing yourselves of freedom and fullness of life.

Feed on Me
Jesus says, think about Me. 
In silence, know and experience my love for you in your heart.
Think about and remember my words, keep them in your mind.

**Keep returning to my words and to my love.**

Feed on me and you will know a life that will never end.
Feed on me and you will never die.

No comments: